Monday 30 December 2013

Happy Greedmas!

Oh well it’s Christmas although under political correctness It’s a miracle they haven’t named it Greedmas!!! Every year we go through the same ritual of wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year but I wonder if anyone really means it?

To me, every year Christmas becomes even more surreal, especially when shopping.

It’s more like a scrum! I tend to go to the supermarket on Christmas Eve, a few hours before closing as they generally reduce the price of food and you can get some real bargains. A few years ago my local supermarket was virtually empty on Christmas Eve but within the last three years, as austerity bites, people have cottoned on to the price cuts and the place is now packed to capacity.

Last year I went into the local supermarket and almost everyone had an expression on their face as if they had just been sentenced to life imprisonment!  Around the entrance lobby were a bunch of battery operated small plastic, made in China, Santa Claus dolls. They were bellowing out “Yo Ho Ho, Merry Christmas,” in an electronic American accent!  The atmosphere was as false as Obama’s birth certificate!

This year the plastic Santa Claus has been replaced with intimidating security men at the entrance, wearing Santa Clause hats!  Throughout the store Christmas Music is bellowing out at near thermo nuclear volume. .

Crowds were gathering around the isles where major reductions were to be had. There was a sense of desperation as people, were almost fighting over each other to get the discounted produce.  Several people, including myself, stood back in amazement. Such behaviour had never been seen before.

Standing on the periphery of the shopping scrum I couldn’t help noticing a very elderly man, I assume in his 80’s or 90’s. My gut feeling told me there was something wrong with him. I became anxious for him even though, to the average person he appeared to be OK. I’m very sensitive and tend to have a sixth sense. I’ve seen the man there before, usually with his middle-aged daughter; I assume she is his carer?

After several minutes it became obvious to me that it was near impossible to get any discounted items from that section so I decided to go to another discounted area. As I walked away, there was even greater pandemonium.

I looked around to see the elderly gentleman had collapsed and members of staff were attending to him. Whilst that was happening, people were still pushing and shoving to get to the bargains and were stepping over and treading on him!. Staff were forced to clear the immediate area around the collapsed man using mobile storage racks. A senior member of staff shouted, “Call an ambulance!” The Man’s daughter was almost hysterical. Meanwhile people stood around as if it were some form of show. My attitude is if I can’t help, I get out of the way to allow those that can to get through. Additionally it is rude to stare at a person in their hour of trauma.

I found it hard to hold back the tears, my heart went out to both the man and his daughter. It reminded me of when my Dad collapsed and the sad memories came flooding back. I was biting my lip, desperately trying to hold back the tears.

Meanwhile as the man lay stretched out on the floor, the nauseating Christmas music blasted out Andy William’s record “The most wonderful time of the year!”  It made me think, “Is this what civilisation has got too?” A man collapsed on the floor, possibly dieing whilst people clamber over each other, almost knocking the racks over that are protecting him, to reach the reduced price food.

About half hour later I went back to that area fully expecting the ambulance crew to have been and gone but to my amazement the poor man was still on the floor. What struck me was what appeared to be the lack of compassion. Nobody held the gentleman’s hand, essential in such a
What has happened to human kindness?
situation and nobody comforted the daughter. A comforting and reassuring arm around the shoulder acts as essential emotional support. It was as if the collapsed person were a slab of meat. I again promptly left the area and did the rest of my shopping. As I was going through the checkout the ambulance arrived; it was about an hour after the gent had collapsed! Considering the ambulance station is less than two miles away I was surprised by the delay. I guess it’s due to government cutbacks?

It made me aware of how dehumanised society has become. This current situation cannot be allowed to continue, it’s turning people into ruthless scavengers. That is exactly what the egotistical psychopaths in government want. I sincerely hope humanity wakes up to what is really happening before it’s too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment